Advanced GD&T has found its greatest application in mass production, where interchangeability of blindly selected parts is essential. Without GD&T and tolerance analysis, there is no way to know what parts have been designed such that all manufactured parts will fit together at assembly. This is becoming more critical today due to ever more powerful design tools and more restrictive business practices.
- Participants will be trained to apply tolerance stack-up analysis techniques to a wide variety of assemblies per GD&T requirements.
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding of GD&T Fundamentals and Tolerance Stackup.
- Properly apply frequently used tolerancing schemes.
- Locate the proper GD&T applications in reference materials.
Who Should Attend
- Manufacturing Managers
- Product Engineers and Managers
- Quality Engineers and Managers
- Project Engineers
- Technical Staff
- Quality Professionals
- Suppliers Quality Assurance
- HR Managers
Benefits of Attending
Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T) and the tolerance stack-up Analysis eliminates the trial and error approach to product design. It should be viewed as a design methodology ensuring dimensions and tolerances are developed to suit feature function and mating relationships. Thus by leaning Advanced GD&T, one could be benefitted:
- It helps in eliminating guessing at product tolerancing, resulting in fewer prototype iterations and drawing revisions.
- It specifies the maximum available tolerance for manufacturing while protecting the feature function.
- It provides clear instructions for quality control by using established rules governing part setup and tolerance zone interpretation, ensuring repeatable measurement results.
- It helps in controlling machine allowances, wall thickness, and interface dimensions on castings and fabrications.
- It helps in developing multiple sources of supply by providing a complete product definition with a single dimensional interpretation.
– Dimensioning and Tolerancing
– Converting Plus/Minus Dimensions and Tolerances into Equal-Bilaterally Toleranced Dimensions
– Variation and Sources of Variation
2. Worst-Case Tolerance Analysis
– Worst-Case Tolerance Stackup with Dimensions
– Assembly Shift
– Worst-Case Tolerance Stackup Examples
– Tolerance Stackups and Assemblies
3. Statistical Tolerance Analysis
– Statistical Tolerance Stackup with Dimensions
– Statistical Tolerance Stackup Examples
4. Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing in Tolerance Analysis
– Converting GD&T into Equal-Bilateral ± Tolerances.
– Datum Feature Shift
– Form Tolerances, Orientation Tolerances, Runout Tolerances, Concentricity Tolerances, Symmetry Tolerances
– Simultaneous Requirements and Separate Requirements
5. Converting Plus/Minus Tolerancing to Positional Tolerancing
– Coaxial Error and Positional Tolerancing
– Radial and Axial Tolerance Stackups in an Assembly
6. Specifying Material Condition Modifiers and their Effect on Tolerance Stackups
– Material Condition Modifier Selection Criteria
7. The Tolerance Stackup Sketch
– Tolerance Stackup Sketch Content
– Steps for Creating a Tolerance Stackup Sketch on Parts and Assemblies
8. The Tolerance Stackup Report Form
– Filling Out the Tolerance Stackup Report Form
– Dimension and Tolerance Entry
9. Tolerance Stackup Direction and Tolerance Stackups with Trigonometry
– The direction of Dimensions and Tolerances in the Tolerance Stackup
– Rotation of Parts within a Linear Tolerance Stackup
10. Floating Fastener and Fixed Fastener Formulas and Considerations
– Floating Fastener Situation
– Fixed Fastener Situation
11. Form Tolerances in Tolerance Stackups
– Datum Feature Form Tolerances
– Form Tolerances Treated as Adding Translational Variation Only
– Form Tolerances Treated as Adding Rotational Variation Only
Feedback From Past Participants
This training program has helped to take complete knowledge of manufacturing variations on the design.
Now we can design the products better from what we have learned from the training session.
Advanced GD&T should be introduced in all manufacturing companies for better dimensioning and understanding.