Manufacturing plant layout design or Factory Layout is one of the most important parts of Lean Methodology as an efficient layout considerably reduces the Waste Associated with Flow of Material, Transportation of Material, Work In Progress (WIP), and also contributes significantly to improve operational efficiency, reduce lead time, improve safety, reduce accidents, reduce material handling & improve ergonomics.
Tetrahedron 20+ yrs of experience in setting up 50+ Greenfield projects (New Plant Set-Up) and 120+ Brown Projects (Space Creation in Existing Infrastructure with & without major infrastructural changes), helps manufacturing companies in implementing Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP), required to achieve the following 10 business objectives.
- Improvement in Floor Space Utilisation Efficiency (Production Area versus Total Area)
- Reduction in Cost of Material Transportation
- Improvement in Capacity Utilisation
- Improvement on OLE (Overall Labour Efficiency)
- Improve Flow of Material and Reduce Line Stops
- Develop Flexibility for Die Change, Set-Up Change, Product Change
- Enhance Ease of Operation Management
- Improve Health, Safety, and Environment
- Refine Ease of Maintenance of Complex Machines
- Reduction in Inventory, Work In Progress, and Finished Goods
Benefits of Factory Plant Layout Design
30% Space Creation In Existing Infrastructure
20% Reduction in Distance Travel by Material
100% Workplace Safety Based Plant Layout
50% Reduction in Machine Set-Up & Change Over Time
10% Reduction in Inventory Level and Inventory Space
20% Reduction in Material Handling Equipment Usage
Zero Line Stop Due to Material Unavailability
Visual Factory For All Activities and Process
Proper Lighting & Usage of Natural Light
Prepare For Future Changes and Enablers
Layout Development Detailed Approach
|Management Requirement Analysis|| - Objective and Scope for New Layout |
- 5 Yrs Business Growth Projection
- Specific Strategy / Goal for New Plant
| - Discussion With management |
- Sharing Best Practices of Other Industry
- Layout Effectiveness Criteria Set Up (Layout Efficiency, Material Distance Travel, Number of Stores, Volumetric Space Utilization, Machine Density, Inventory Space Ratio)
|Data Collection, Process Mapping & Analysis|| - Product Analysis – Quantity, Size, Shape, Weight |
- Raw Material Analysis – Quantity, Properties, Lead Time
- Machine Analysis – Dimension, Weight, Tools, CTM
- Process Analysis – Flow, Cycle Time, Man Power, CTQ / CTB
|- Selecting The Best Layout Product Layout / Process Layout / Cellular Layout / Job Shop (Static Layout) or combination of these as per analysis|
| Step 1 |
| - Aisle / Gangway Design |
- Manual Accessibility Path Design
- Safety Equipment, Exits
|- Minimizing Distance Travel by Material|
| Step 2 |
| - FG Store Design |
- Raw Material Store Design
- WIP Place / Line Side Store Design
| - Ensure Zero Delivery Failure and Zero Line Stop |
- Reduce / Optimize Inventory
- Reduce Fire Fighting in Inbound and Outbound Logistics
| Step 3 |
Machine and Work Station Design
| - Machine Sequencing |
- Tool & Fixture Space Designing
- Machine Accessibility For Maintenance
- Machine Input and Output Space Design
| - Reduce Manual / Forklift Material Transfer |
- Ensure Quick Change Over
- Ensure Quick Maintenance
- Zero Machine Stop Due to Material Unavailability
| Step 4 |
Production Support Functions
| - Administration Activity |
- Utilities & Support
- Other Departments
- Material Handling
- Employee Facility Centers
|- 360 Coverage of all non – production activities|
| Step 5 |
Facility Ergonomics Design
| - Industrial Safety, Fire Protection |
- Noise Control
- Dust Control (If Applicable)
- Ventilation and Exhaust
- Lighting (Day & Artificial)
- Industrial Sanitation & Plumbing
|- Facility designed for Safety and Better Performance|
| Step 6 |
Validation, Iteration & Confirmation
| - Iterate the Draft Layout for improvement |
- Validate from Management
- Confirm & Handover
| - Ensure Optimum Layout Efficiency |
- 2D and 3D Designing Handover
- 3D (Live) Simulation if required
Advantages of Tetrahedron's Layout Approach
A Plant / Factory layout should be valid for at least 5 Yrs.
Plant Layout is a critical investment for any manufacturing company, and a flow-focused – effective layout impacts business performances and profitability. Once a layout is frozen it’s almost impossible or very cost-intensive to change the layout especially after the civil works are completed.
Tetrahedron considers these facts and tries to create multiple (more than 10) simulation wherein the client can select the best possible layout with existing business requirements as well as all possible future plans.
Visualize how your future plant would look like
The 3D simulations created by Tetrahedron works as a perfect bridge between the Concept Level Layout and Final Post Construction layout. Tetrahedron uses multiple software for layout design and 3D simulations, that helps the clients to visualize how the future plant is going to look like post-implementation of Lean Layout with (GMP) Good Manufacturing Practices.
Business & Operational Performance Planning
Tetrahedron takes into consideration lean manufacturing practices and design layouts that will help to –
(1) Improve Line Balancing
(2) Improve Manpower Utilization
(3) Plan and Optimise Inventory
(4) Calculate Manpower Requirements
(5) Reduce Material Handling Equipment Requirement
(6) Improve Space Efficiency
(7) Good Manufacturing Practices
Serving these Manufacturing Industries
Lean Layouting in Fettling Operation
(Leading Global Automotive Part Manufacturer)
Before TMS – Operating as a batch process fettling operation leading to huge WIPs and frequent delivery failures due to unavailability of finished goods.
Tetrahedron conducted a Time & Motion Study for Shot-blasting to painting operation of the fettling line with a target to develop a Lean Line with 5 years capacity projection. The result achieved in 6 months.
- 3 Shifts (24 Hrs) operation reduced to 19 Hrs
- Line Balancing Implemented – Sequential Flow of Goods, FIFO
- Line formation with exact manpower requirement with projections
- Identified 20+ Simple Automation
- Multiple Operation by single workman by formation improvement
- WIP reduced by 50%
Green Field Layout of Glazing Division
(India’s Largest UPVC Manufacturer (Bhiwadi))
- High Cost due to High Manual Manufacturing
- Low Productivity due to non standardized product
- High WIP because of Material Handling
- High Manual Packaging leading to high labor Costs
Tetrahedron studied the entire production line and helped to identify at least 43 opportunities to implement automation. With this in mind, 17 high-impact projects were taken on.
- 36% Manpower Reduction
- Ideation and Implementation of end to end Material Handling
- Material Handling breakages reduced by 70%
- 40% Line Productivity Enhancement
Can i Get multiple simulations of layout according to my requirements ?
Yes, Tetrahedron Create Multiple-Possible Layouts with Simulation that enables Clients to take an informed decision considering all future possibilities of Capacity Augmentation, Operational Performance, Manpower Planning, Automation and Digitization.
Does Plant layout design also includes Safety aspects in shop floor?
Yes, Tetrahedron Design Lean factory layout in way that also consider National building codes & Required Safety ISO, We also plan Fire Safety and Fire Exit Doors.
Does Plant Layout also includes information & identification visuals?
Yes, Tetrahedron also helps to implement visual management system in the plant, identify location of all departments( Production, maintenance, Quality, Store etc), Fire Exits, Machines.
Can we get 3d Simulations of Plant Layout?
Yes, Tetrahedron can Create 3D Simulations of layout as per your requirement, it will help you to visualize the various manufacturing processes also Manpower & material movement, You can also visualize How much inventory is generating in between the processes.
Can I get help in implementation process on site ?
Yes, after completion of the plant layout tetrahedron will also help in implantation of the suggested layout plan start with machine marking on shop floor to implementation of machine on the floor.
In how much time will i get plant layout design?
We usually give final plant layout design in 7 to 8 weeks. It also depends upon the size of the plant , Complexity of the production processes, in that case we take 2-3 more weeks.
How do I optimize factory layout?
You can optimize your factory layout by effectively utilisation of vertical and horizontal space, WIP Inventory reduction, Material and Manpower movement reduction on shop floor, Better Natural lighting and ventilation.
What is Lean Plant Layout ?
Lean Layout is the ideas and techniques for total elimination of waste. The goal of Lean Layout is to increase efficiency, productivity and flexibility in the production process for full utilisation of Cubic space, Machinery, Manpower to increase Productivity and Profit with Zero Waste.
What is the concept of lean?
Lean is basically a set of management practices to improve operational efficiency and manufacturing cost reduction by eliminating waste.
What is the best layout for lean?
It depends on the type of manufacturing company, product, material used ,machinery and many more factors.our experts guide you according to your company and suggest best layout for you.
What are the impact of lean waste on manufacturing company?
Because of Lean Waste company can faces problems like Delivery Inconsistencies, excessive material flow, space for inventory, over production, over processing , Employee Dissatisfaction and many more.
What methods can I use to increase production capacity of manufacturing plant?
By lean plant layout you can increase productivity because lean plant layout decrease machine change over time, waiting of workers, over processing, over production, distance travel by material and manpower and increase overall productivity and also save energy cost .
Drop us a note now !
Unlock the full power of our solution for you and your team.