Design Failure Mode Effect Analysis or Design FMEA is a structured approach that ensures potential failure modes and their associated causes have been considered and addressed in the product design. Design fmea identifies design functions, failure modes and their effects on the customer with corresponding severity ranking/danger of the effect.
- Firstly, To gather potential causes by which a product design can fail.
- Secondly, understand to make our design more robust.
- Define the Design FMEA scope.
- Conduct the ranking scales for Severity, Occurrence, and Detection.
- Make the Design FMEA into an active document.
- Develop correct parameters based on Design FMEA.
Who Should Attend
- Manufacturing Managers
- New Product Development Managers
- Quality Engineers and Managers
- Plant Engineers
- Management Representative
- Technical Staff
- Quality Professionals
- Suppliers Quality Assurance
- Maintenance Manager
Benefits of Attending
The Design FMEA procedure is a highly effective way to evaluate the design of the products. It is as valuable for revealing areas needing improvement as it is for guiding the development of new designs.
Design FMEA training will help the participants to
- It increases the probability that failure modes and their effects on the system/product have been considered.
- Provides an open issue format for recommending and tracking risk-reduction actions.
- It aids in analyzing field concerns, design changes, and developing advanced designs.
- It helps to standardize ranks to the failure modes according to their effect on the customer, thus help in prioritizing improvements.
- Help to Identifying failure modes of the product ranked according to their effect on the customer establishes a priority system for design improvement and development testing while still in the design phase.
One of the most critical benefits is that it specifies certain actions that will certainly help to prioritize the design failures of a product.
1. Introduction to Design FMEA
– Design FMEA Information Flow
2. Inputs to Design FMEA
– Introduction to Robustness Tools (Robustness Linkages)
– Boundary Diagram
– Interface matrix
3. Potential Failure Modes
– How to identify failure Mode Types.
– Sample Functions and Failures
– How to identify Potential Failure Modes
– Functional Approach
4. Potential Effects of Failure
– How to identify Potential Effects of Failure
– Examples of Potential Effects of Failure
– How to identify Severity Rating
– Design Severity Rating Table
– YC Classification Rating
7. Potential Cause(s)/Mechanism(s) of Failure
– How to Identify Potential Cause(s) of Failure
– How to identify Occurrence
– Occurrence Rating Table
9. Current Design Controls
– Types of Design Controls
– How to identify Design Controls
– How to identify Detection Rating
– Effectiveness Factors
11. Risk Priority Number (RPN)
– Calculate Risk Priority Number
12. Fault Tree Analysis
– Understanding the symbols and solve problems
Feedback From Past Participants
This workshop has helped us in prioritizing the design failures.
Our product Design capability has improved significantly.
I think the tool is essential for improving product design.
It is useful for all manufacturing companies.
The exercises were beneficial for a clear understanding of how to design products.