What is Ergonomics?
Ergonomics and Work-Place Design: According to a recent survey, the major reason for low productivity in the manufacturing industry is the health-related problems of the workforce and Safety concerns of workers.
Ever thought that how to resolve these problems for the workers and at the same time it also benefits the organization?
There is a solution.
You should have ergonomically designed manufacturing processes
Now, you might think What Is Ergonomics?
In layman’s term, Ergonomics means fitting the job to the worker’s capabilities or One can say Ergonomics is the science of designing the job to fit the worker, rather than physically forcing the worker’s body to fit the job.
Benefits of Ergonomics to Manufacturers
1. Improved Safety – The most common issue being faced in an industry is the injuries of the workers. Ergonomics reduces the risk of workers’ injury and improves overall safety.
2. Increased Productivity – Ergonomics evaluations primarily aim at decreasing the risk factors but somewhere it also helps in increasing productivity.
For Example :
A worker in Factory A – Lifts the items from the floor to place them on the other side.
A worker in Factory B – With the help of an ergonomically designed Machine the items are bought within the reach of the worker without pinching, pushing, or pulling.
So, In Factory B the improved work process resulted in decreased cycle time by 10%, which results in increased productivity.
3. Worker Health – Bending, Twisting, Turning, and Heavy lifting results in painful injuries to the workers. Effective ergonomics reduce the risk of worker injury and maintains or improves their health allowing workers to perform their work and enjoy an improved quality of life outside of work.
There are many other benefits of the Ergonomic Manufacturing Process in an Organization.
Types Of Ergonomics
There are 3 Types of Ergonomics
- Physical Ergonomics – It is the Human Body’s responses to physical and physiological work Loads.
- Cognitive Ergonomics – It deals with the mental process of humans when at work.
- Organizational Ergonomics – Includes the organizational structures, policies, and processes in the work environment.
Now you know What Ergonomics is, What are its Benefits, What are the different types of Ergonomics The question that might be arising in your mind is How to Evaluate It?
There are 3 different types of Ergonomics Evaluation Techniques Which are Further Sub-Divided according to the Condition in which it has to be done
Below Is the Table Showing Different Types of Ergonomics Evaluation Techniques.
Ergonomics has become an important aspect to consider while setting up a business. Facts have proven that companies that pay attention to ergonomics have much effective workforce and generate good profits. So, it is high time companies start catering to ergonomics before expecting a performance from their employees.
Tetrahedron’s Consultants has successfully implemented Effective Ergonomics Based Manufacturing Processes in the various organizations, which have helped the organizations to reduce manufacturing costs, keep employees healthy and increased the quality of their products.